Monday, July 26, 2010

Desires of Heaven

Welcome to all the new readers!  I hope you are blessed in someway by this devotion!  On Saturday, I will be doing a piece for Seeds of Faith (www.seedsoffaithwomen.com).  It's a wonderful site for Christian woman (but men are welcome to read it too!  I hope you will join me there!

I also hope you have enjoyed this month's devotions.  I have used an app on my Droid to lead us through different verses in the Bible so that God on can speak to us, not necessarily in a random way, but as a different way.  I also wanted to challenge myself to see if I could make a devotional piece out of something unexpected.  I think I did okay and I hope you thought so too!  Thanks for all the comments.  I love the feedback I am given.

Psalm 73:25
Whom have I in heaven but You?
         And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 


Our Creator sits on a throne in heaven, looking down at his world.  How often, do we kneel before him, or as I used to do as a child, lay on my back in the yard, and look up at the sky?  I remember my sister and I would lay on the hill in our side yard and look up at the clouds and blue sky in the summer, trying to see what the passing clouds reminded us of.  Dragons, bears, spaceships, there was no end!  Did you ever look up and contemplate heaven?  

God is in heaven, and I desire to go there when it's my turn.  He is the one I want to please, the one I am serving, the one I live for.  There is nothing on this earth that I really desire.  I physically am in want or need of anything.  Praise God for that.  Emotionally, I want my family healthy and happy. Spiritually, I have the desire to be where Christians are.  But that is here on earth. 

I think the older you get, the "wiser" you get, and the more you realize the whole goal is heaven and eternal life.  As a young adult (I refuse to say I am anywhere in the middle), we want to experience family, kids, marriage, and all the other things that we can on earth.  We don't seem to have our mind set on heaven.  We know it's the goal, but it seems so far away.  Until it's not.  I was thinking last night how quickly it can go from life to death for us.  As children, there is no way we are close to dying.  As young adults, we are still too far away from that in our thinking, then we hit maybe a certain age, or illness hits us in the face, and there it is, heaven.  Where are we going?  Are we ready?  What's there?  All the questions loom and we start thinking about it.  The older we get, the more we desire heaven.  We have lived this life and know that there is more to it than what we've done here.  The older we get, the more we talk about death, eternal life, and heaven.  The more reassurance we need for the younger adults.  It's hard to contemplate heaven as a young person until you are faced with actually going there.  But, maybe it is something we do need to contemplate more than in passing.  We need to let our children know what we are here for.  What our reward is for living a life for Christ.  Then when a loved one passes, it will still hurt, but the reassurance of being with God may help ease the pain.

1 comment:

  1. we want to be happy, but sometimes happiness is what keeps us from God. as this verse points out (and i forget so often) being in His prescents should be my goal. nothing else

    ReplyDelete