Thursday, February 11, 2010

Are You An Olympian?

I will have a love fest for the next few 16 days with my television. I know that sounds very odd, and some of you already think I have this going on, but this is special. It only happens every 4 years in February. The 2010 Vancouver Olympics start tomorrow evening! I am so excited about it. I want to watch everything! Everything. I will set the DVR and the 4 different channels it is set on so that when it is time for an event, I can see it.

For me, the Olympics are the epitome of everything sports (except for American football). My husband thinks the Winter Olympics has nothing good to offer. Of course, he is being sexist about it because it is cold and everyone wears clothes. But he fails to realize that the clothes are thermal and half-naked women are not as exciting to watch as the hockey teams slamming each other against the fiberglass, or the suspense and intensity that goes with curling or the triathlon. I love how the countries who never see snow or cold weather want to compete. Like the man from Ghana who is in the Alpine Skiing event. His nickname is Snow Leopard and he has only been in snow for a short while. His name is Kwame Nkrumah Acheampong. Snow Leopard will be coming to a tv near you very soon.

The Olympics brings the world together, if just for a brief blip. The memories will last longer. It seems only last month that we watch the opening ceremonies of the Chinese Summer Olympics, but it was actually August of 2008. I vividly remember the drums and that amazing feat by the runner Bolt. So every night (except at 9 PM on Mondays) I will be watching some form of Olympic games for the next 16 days. The competition will be fierce and I will be rooting for who I always root for. First, the USA and second, the underdogs that have their 15 minutes of fame.

God brings the world together too. Not for just days, but for eternity if you let him. We talk about him with our neighbors, we send missionaries around the world. His athletes need no special training, no special knowledge other than the Bible. That is our tool. All you have to do is believe and obey.

Matthew 28:19-20 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

No comments:

Post a Comment