Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What's Your Agenda?

Daniel 6:6-9
6 So these administrators and satraps went as a group to the king and said: “May King Darius live forever! 7 The royal administrators, prefects, satraps, advisers and governors have all agreed that the king should issue an edict and enforce the decree that anyone who prays to any god or human being during the next thirty days, except to you, Your Majesty, shall be thrown into the lions’ den. 8 Now, Your Majesty, issue the decree and put it in writing so that it cannot be altered—in accordance with the law of the Medes and Persians, which cannot be repealed.” 9 So King Darius put the decree in writing.
Sunday during Sunday School, this story was mentioned as part of our story.  It is funny how when we trust people, we do not think they would ever do anything to lead us astray.  At least not on purpose.  But, we are not a people of honesty.  Most people have an agenda of their own and doesn’t look out for others.  Many times, I have been chided because I “let people walk all over me.”  People think I am a door mat or weak.  But I don’t think that.  I always try and look at the big picture and see what really other people want to do and how much it will hurt others.  Normally, I go along with things because I don’t want to fight or it is not a big deal.  If I am passionate about it, I will stand up for whatever I need.  This shows that I too, sometimes have my own selfish agenda. 
King Darius believed in his advisors, administrators, prefects, and all.  He thought they would always give him good advice.  But he did not realize that the law they wanted him to put in affect would be against one of his favorite people.  He just willingly agreed to enforce this law.  It is crazy for any of us to think that someone would pray to us.  Why would you pray to me?  I cannot do a thing for you.  In fact, I am sure I have and will let you down.  God, on the other hand, has never let you down.  Whether you chose to believe in him, or believe and trust him, he will always step up and do what is needed for you.  Not what you need, mind you, but what is needed for the situation.  Sometimes that gets us in trouble because we are expecting something totally different.  But, he is the true one you can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment