Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Talk to God

Daniel 6:10
10 Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.


Some rituals are not meant to be stopped.  Each day, I get up, start making lunches for the day, get the kids up for school, see them and Mike off.  Then depending on my day, I do my devotion or get ready for work.  There is certain things I do.  I always take a shower in the morning.  I read emails, Bible verses, and plan my day.  I pray for my family and others.  Daniel had a ritual.  He prayed toward Jerusalem three times a day.  And everyone knew it.  So when the wisemen, administrators and magicians decided to get him.  This is what they did.  That pinpointed that one area of prayer and persuaded the king to make a law to only pray to him.  


That didn't stop Daniel.  It would not have stopped me either.  I pray a lot during a day. (! Thessalonians 5:17 says..."pray without ceasing.")  It's a habit.  I hear a siren, I pray.  I get word that someone hurts or is sick, I pray.  But I don't go to a prayer closet, get down reverently on my knees and pray for a period of time.  Do you?  Daniel didn't let this decree stop him.  He knew it was wrong and he knew that it was God, not the king, who had got him through all the times before.  He knew from the time he was very young that the Lord Most High is to be exalted above everyone else and that God listens.  Daniel knew what the world doesn't.  God wants us to talk to him.  God listens to our needs.  God wants that conversation.  Daniel gave his relationship with God an important place in his life.  He made sure he talked with him three times a day.  


Is there anyone you talk to three times a day, every day?  I know I talk with my kids and husband that often.  I don't talk to my parents everyday, but I'm okay with that.  I do talk to God a lot during every day. So today, make it a point to talk to the most important people in your life and make God one of them.







No comments:

Post a Comment