Monday, August 9, 2010

Treating Your Enemies

Psalm 6

   O LORD, rebuke me not in Thine anger, neither chasten me in Thy hot displeasure.   
 2Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am weak; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are vexed.   
 3My soul is also sore vexed, but Thou, O LORD, how long?   
 4Return, O LORD, deliver my soul! O save me for Thy mercies' sake!   
 5For in death there is no remembrance of Thee; in the grave who shall give Thee thanks?   
 6I am weary with my groaning; all the night I make my bed to swim, I water my couch with my tears.   
 7Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.   
 8Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity, for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.   
 9The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.   
 10Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sorely vexed; let them turn back and be put to shame suddenly.

The Psalmist here is very distressed because of his grief and enemies.  How often do we cause pain and sadness to someone.  More importantly, how often to you regret what you have done to someone?  The last verse says it all to me.  Don't we wish that those that cause us pain will feel bad for what they have done?   We secretly hope that if they see us with our chin held high and our body standing still and tears brimming down our face that our enemies will feel sorry for what they have put us through.  That usually doesn't happen though, does it? 

As Christians we are to turn the other cheek.  Matthew 5:39 tells what Christ wants us to do. 
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 

But are we to just accept it and go on?  Most of the time, I think that yes is the answer for me.  God will take his vengeance out on our enemies when the time is right.  We should pray for them.  If you want to make friends with them, you can try, but sometimes that doesn't always work out.  Love your enemies doesn't mean be friends with them.  Be nice, be cordial and if a friendship works out, that is great.  But I am always wary of people who do not like me.  I try to be cordial, helpful, but not too friendly.  It's a fine line. 

How do you treat your enemies?  Do you give it right back to them?  To you feel and eye for and eye is acceptable?  Do you love them and smother them with kindness?  

No comments:

Post a Comment