Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Standing Youth

For some reason, I have a heart for the young.  Especially the teens. I like talking to them, listening to them, and helping them.  God has given me some opportunities to do that.   This week in Vacation Bible School, one of the verses that we are basing our themes around is 1 Timothy 4:12

Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. 

I have read this verse, but this week it has been given meaning to me.  My first night of teaching, I taught the teenagers.  Though my son was kinda mouthy, it was interesting.  There were ten of them.  All but two I knew and had mostly watch grow up.  These kids are really good examples of what this verse talks about.  Even though they are young, adults should take note of them.  These kids lead by example.  They are showing the adults around them how they should talk (well sorta), behave, love, have faith and keep pure.

  These kids are know and are trying to be examples not only for the older believers, but shine as a light on the pathway for the younger kids. The kids behind them are looking towards them and mimicking what they see.  I urged these kids to be the example God wants them to be.  I encourage each of us to take a closer look at the teens and urge them to follow God's plan for their lives.

1 comment:

  1. In my "pre-kiddo" life, I was a high school teacher and this verse formed the basis of my teaching philosophy. I was a young teacher and spent my first three years in a hard, hard school. Everyone warned me that it wouldn't go well because I was so young and inexperienced.

    They were wrong; those three years were the best! It's amazing how kids -- believers or not -- respond to an adult who approaches them with respect and grace. I had kids in gangs, teenage moms, and kids who had been in jail. But, once they stepped into my classroom, you couldn't tell any of that. They knew that I didn't look at them with labels and, so, they didn't "wear" them. They became just another student, with the same opportunities as everyone else.

    And, because I didn't look down on them or treat them as "just kids," they respected me and (even my toughest gang kids) would come to me for questions about life, faith, etc.

    I really miss teaching. :(

    (by the way, visiting from ifellowship)

    ReplyDelete