Monday, June 7, 2010

Get Ready

 This is the first day of summer hours at work.  Last year I really didn't like the summer hours.  We work four 9 hour days and on Friday, we work 8 to 12.  Okay, I'll admit, that Friday's were good.  We were busy getting everything done and I got to go home early.  I could take my kids to the pool, shopping or whatever in the afternoon.

I am trying really hard not to think negatively about summer hours.  This morning I got up at the same time as I did last week, did my normal routine of showering and getting ready, then went out to the dining room.  It was quiet.  I looked for some bills on the desk, paid a couple of bills, ate my yogurt and looked at the email.  That was a nice quiet time. 

As long as we are busy at work, no one complains about the nine hour days.  But the last hour or so is really quiet because most people do not call after five.  They are all trying to get home, fix dinner, or run errands at that time.  I will be straightening up the office, cleaning coffee pots and the kitchen area, and preparing for the next day.  It is nice to get ahead for the next day. 

Preparation is something we all need to do.  This is the final week before Vacation Bible School starts.  I have lots of prepping to do.  Things I need to get done.  Plans for setup are in place.  Food must be bought, stories read over, lessons prepared. 

John the Baptist prepared the way of the people all over the countryside for Christ's coming.

Matthew 11:10
"This is the one about whom it is written,' BEHOLD, I SEND MY MESSENGER AHEAD OF YOU,WHO WILL PREPARE YOUR WAY BEFORE YOU.' Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.  From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.   For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John.   And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.   He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

God sent John to let them know that he was sending a Savior.  The people were receptive, except for those who felt threatened.  Sometimes preparing people for what's to come is good.  As people hear what or who is coming, they get use to the idea. This is useful for me.  I like to know what is coming.  I like being prepared.
I am trying to prepare myself for Christ's second coming.  Will I be ready?  In my heart yes.  In my mind, There will always be one more thing to do.  Sometimes you just can't worry about the things that do not get done.  Be ready as you can.  Christ will come soon!

2 comments:

  1. God did some grooming of me before bringing me into this season of my life. I know I wouldn't have been able to deal with it, had he not prepared me in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete