Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Take the Blinders Off!

Daniel 4:4 - 8


4 I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous. 5 I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me. 6 So I commanded that all the wise men of Babylon be brought before me to interpret the dream for me. 7 When the magicians, enchanters, astrologers[b]and diviners came, I told them the dream, but they could not interpret it for me. 8 Finally, Daniel came into my presence and I told him the dream. (He is called Belteshazzar, after the name of my god, and the spirit of the holy gods is in him.)


As I read these verses, I found myself thinking about verse eight.  For the second time, King Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that bothered him.  For the second time, he first turned to the wise men, enchanters, magicians, and others that let him down last time.  For the second time, he had to wait for Daniel to do the work.  My first thought?  Some people never learn.  


Then the king tells us that Daniel's Babylonian name is Belteshazzar because he has the spirit of holy gods in him.  Totally got that wrong.  He has God on his side and the spirit of God was in him.  God gave Daniel the gift of interpreting dreams.  God has kept Daniel and his friends safe.  King Nebuchadnezzar sees only what the blinders show him, but as one of God's children, I feel lucky to have the insight that the king didn't have.  ...was blind, but now I see.  - Amazing Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment