Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Hard Trip

Luke 2:1-5


1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.
 4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.

In high school, my English teacher made us memorize Luke 2:1 -20.  It's amazing how I have never forgotten most of it.  I love saying this in my mind with whoever is reading it, where ever and whenever I hear it.  I especially love Linus, from A Charlie Brown Christmas reciting the words every year on national television.  

Counting has never been one of my strong points.  We have to take inventory of our stores, factories, to get at least a close count of what we have.  It amazes me every time the government takes a census.  It's easy now.  The government sends us a form in the mail, we fill out the form, and send it back.  If we fail or forget to do that, then they send someone to your door to ask you those questions!  But back in Mary and Joseph's day, you had to travel to your family's hometown and register.  Joseph was a long way from his hometown.  Nazareth is 80 miles from Bethlehem.  There was no cars or trains or planes then.  All Joseph could afford was a donkey for Mary.  She was his responsibility so she had to go with him.  I'm sure the road was not paved and it took them quite a while to get there.  

Being really pregnant, it probably wasn't a good idea for her to ride a donkey to much.  But she probably couldn't walk much either.  How tired she must have been.  How much longer the travel must have felt for both of them.  When I was eight months pregnant with my son, we moved, in January.  We luckily had a lot of help and we appreciated that.  I couldn't have helped much if we didn't.  But it was a very tiring experience.  I'm sure it was nothing compared to what Mary went through. 

Breath of Heaven
by Amy Grant and Chris Eaton

I have traveled
Many moonless night
Cold and Weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I've done
Holy Father
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son

I am waiting
in a silent prayer
I am frightened
by the load i bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven

Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holyness
For your holy Breath of Heaven

Do you wonder
As you watch my face
If a wiser one, should of had my place
But I offer-all I am
For the mercy-of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

No comments:

Post a Comment